ETI Professional Development Seminars
Fundamentals of GD&T 2009 3-Day
(Based on Y14.5-2009)
a training quote
This subject is offered in a 2-day, 20-hour, 3-day, or 4-day format.
Contact ETI to determine which course length best suits your specific need.
Providing you have a basic understanding of mechanical drawings, this course teaches the terms, rules, symbols, and concepts of GD&T as prescribed in the ASME Y14.5-2009 Standard.
Utilizing the expertise of world-renowned GD&T expert Alex Krulikowski, this course offers an in-depth explanation of geometric tolerancing symbols, their tolerance zones, applicable modifiers, common applications, and limitations.
The class includes a comparison of GD&T to coordinate tolerancing; Rules #1 and #2; form and orientation controls; tolerance of position; runout and profile controls. It is up to date with the new 2009 standard and explains all the new rules and symbols. Newly acquired learning is reinforced throughout the class with more than 150 practice problems.
- What You Receive
- Learning Objectives
- Who Should Attend
- Topical Outline
Each attendee receives a robust collection of learning resources including:
- The Fundamentals of GD&T Using Critical Thinking Skills (ASME Y14.5-2009) textbook by Alex Krulikowski
- A GD&T Ultimate Pocket Guide (2009)
- Class handouts
- Official certificate of completion
Tens of thousands of students have learned GD&T through Alex Krulikowski’s textbooks, self-study courses, computer based training, and online learning center. Students who attend courses like this one walk away with more than knowledge. They gain on-the-job skills because the learning materials are performance-based.
By attending this class, you will be able to:
- Explain the importance of standards on engineering drawings
- Describe the types of dimensions, tolerances, and notes
- Explain why geometric tolerancing is superior to coordinate tolerancing
- Interpret the general dimensioning symbols
- Define the key terms used in GD&T
- Recognize the symbols and modifiers used in GD&T
- Explain the rules used in GD&T
- Describe the concepts of worst-case boundary, virtual condition, and bonus tolerance
- Interpret the various types of tolerance (flatness, circularity, cylindricity, straightness, perpendicularity, parallelism, angularity, position, runout, and profile)
- Describe the datum system
- Interpret applications of datum targets, size datum features (RMB), and size datum features (MMB)
Who Should Attend
This course is valuable for individuals who create or interpret engineering drawings, product and gage designers; process, product, and manufacturing engineers; supplier quality engineers/professionals; CMM operators; buyers/purchasers; checkers; inspectors; technicians; and sales engineers/professionals.
Students should have completed ETI's Engineering Drawing Requirements course or equivalent.
Topical outline of the 3-day course
- Drawing standards
- Dimensions, tolerances, and notes
- Coordinate tolerancing and GD&T
- General dimensioning symbols
- Key GD&T terms
- Symbols and modifiers
- GD&T rules
- GD&T concepts
- Flatness tolerance
- Straightness tolerance
- Circularity tolerance
- Cylindricity tolerance
- Datum system
- Datum targets
- Size datum features (RMB)
- Size datum features (MMB)
- Perpendicularity tolerance
- Parallelism tolerance
- Angularity tolerance
- Position tolerance introduction
- Position tolerance - RFS and MMC
- Position tolerance - special applications
- Position tolerance - calculations
|Runout, Concentricity, Symmetry
- Circular and total runout tolerances
- Concentricity and symmetry tolerances
- Profile tolerance basic concepts
- Profile tolerance applications
||Course Summary; final learning assessment
Instructor(s): This course is taught by one of ETIís approved instructors, each of whom has been vetted and mentored by Alex Krulikowski.
ID# ET1151 - Fundamentals of GD&T 2009 3-Day - 2.0 CEUs
You must complete all course contact hours and successfully pass the learning assessment to obtain CEUs.
This seminar can be customized to meet the needs of your organization
For onsite workshop information or to request
a custom quote package contact a GD&T account executive
at 1-800-886-0909, email firstname.lastname@example.org,
or use our online training
quote request form.