The Fundamentals of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing Using Critical Thinking Skills textbook has been completely updated to reflect the changes in the ASME Y14.5-2009 Standard. This third edition preserves the best features of the first two editions while adding new material that reflects the changes in the field of geometric tolerancing.
The book includes several new features that aid in the understanding of geometric tolerancing. It also focuses on critical thinking skills that help the reader with the application of newly learned GD&T concepts on the job. It's the most practical and easy-to-use GD&T text on the market.
Click the graphic to see inside the book.
Each of the textbook's 27 chapters focuses on a major topic that must be mastered to be fluent in the fundamentals of geometric tolerancing. Each goal is defined and supported by a set of performance objectives. There are more than 260 performance objectives that describe specific, observable, measurable actions that the student must accomplish to demonstrate mastery of each goal and are a key to success for both the student and the instructor.
Material that builds and develops critical thinking skills is contained within each topic, with questions that utilize those skills at the end of each chapter.
- Drawing standards
- Dimensions, tolerances, and notes
- Coordinate tolerancing and GD&T
- General dimensioning symbols
- Key GD&T terms
- Symbols and modifiers
- GD&T rules
- GD&T concepts
- Flatness tolerance
- Straightness tolerance
- Circularity tolerance
- Cylindricity tolerance
- Datum system
- Datum targets
- Size datum features (RMB)
- Size datum features (MMB)
- Perpendicularity tolerance
- Parallelism tolerance
- Angularity tolerance
- Position tolerance introduction
- Position tolerance - RFS and MMC
- Position tolerance - special applications
- Position tolerance - calculations
|Runout, Concentricity, Symmetry
- Circular and total runout tolerances
- Concentricity and symmetry tolerances
- Profile tolerance basic concepts
- Profile tolerance applications
|Topics in the Appendices
- The history of GD&T
- The Significant Seven Questions
- Terms and part geometry
- Feature control frame proportion chart
- ASME/ISO comparison charts
- Surface interpretation
- Glossary of GD&T terms
This book is a valuable tool for: Designers; product, manufacturing, and quality engineers; CMM operators; checkers
Skill level needed: A basic understanding of engineering drawings is required.
The Fundamentals of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing Using Critical Thinking Skills, 3rd Edition textbook includes several new and improved features:
- Technical content updated to reflect the latest information from ASME Y14.5- 2009
- A two-column format
- Information is divided into smaller topics; each chapter is based on a single goal
- Several new chapters: Chapter 1: Drawing Standards; Chapter 2: Dimensions, Tolerances, and Notes; and Chapter 4: General Dimensioning Symbols
- Critical thinking questions added to build higher order thinking skills
- New terms listed at the front of each chapter
- Organization of the chapters covering the GD&T symbols is divided into three sections: terms and concepts, applications, and verification principles
- Reorganized the chapter problems into three types: true/false, multiple choice, and application problems
- The use of mnemonics to aid in the memory of concepts
- Real-world examples for each geometric tolerance
- Chapter summaries
- Expanded coverage on the verification principles and methods for each geometric tolerance
- The use of the surface interpretation for all tolerances applied at MMC
- The use of line conventions to make the illustrations easier to interpret
- The use of color to highlight tolerance zones, boundaries, datums, parts, and gages in the figures
- The use of a 3D model coordinate system to denote the degrees of freedom constrained
- The use of the significant seven questions for interpreting a geometric tolerance
Format: The Fundamentals of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing Using Critical Thinking Skills textbook has been completely updated to reflect the changes in the ASME Y14.5-2009 Standard. The goals and performance objectives of each chapter are clearly described to keep you focused on the material. At the end of each chapter, you will find a number of exercises to reinforce the material once you have learned it.
- About Ordering This Product
- After clicking the order button, you'll be redirected to the SAE International customer portal for final payment. New SAE customer registration is required.
- To order by telephone, contact SAE International Customer Service at 1.877.606.7323 (U.S. and Canada only) or 1.724.776.4970 (Outside U.S. and Canada).
- Effective Training Inc. (ETI) is an SAE International company.