Spiral bound, 391 pp.
Publisher: Effective Training Inc. Edition Desc: 2nd
The Fundamentals of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing textbook by Alex Krulikowski covers the basic rules, definitions, and concepts of GD&T. The book's 12 chapters are split into 28 goals, each focusing on a major topic that must be mastered to be fluent in the fundamentals of geometric tolerancing.
Each of the textbook's 28 goals are defined and supported by a set of performance objectives that describe specific, observable, measurable actions that the student must accomplish to demonstrate mastery of the topic. This learning method is a key to success for both the student and the instructor and is part of what makes this the most practical and easy-to-use GD&T textbook on the market.
Chapter goals include:
- Understand what an engineering drawing is
- Understand why geometric tolerancing is superior to coordinate tolerancing
- Understand eight key terms and how they affect the interpretation of a drawing
- Understand the modifiers and symbols used in geometric tolerancing
- Understand Rule #1 and Rule #2
- Understand the concepts of basic dimensions, virtual condition, inner and outer boundary, worst-case boundary, and bonus tolerance
- Interpret flatness
- Interpret straightness
- Interpret circularity
- Interpret cylindricity
- Understand the datum system (planar datums)
- Interpret datum targets
- Interpret feature of size datum specifications (RFS)
- Interpret feature of size datum specifications(MMC)
- Interpret the perpendicularity control
- Understand the fundamental concepts of tolerance of position: the definition and conventions, the advantages, and the basic theories
- Interpret RFS and MMC tolerance of position applications
- Draw cartoon gages for tolerance of position (MMC) applications
- Interpret tolerance of position special applications
- Calculate distances on a part dimensioned with tolerance of position
- Calculate tolerance of positoin tolerance values using the fixed and floating fastener formulas
- Interpet the concentricity control
- Interpret the symmetry control
- Interpret the circular runout control
- Interpret the total runout control
- Understand profile tolerancing
- Interpret the profile of a surface control
- Interpret profile of a line control
This book is a valuable tool for: Designers; product, manufacturing, and quality engineers; CMM operators; checkers
Skill level needed: A basic understanding of engineering drawings is required.
Format: The Fundamentals of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing is based on the ASME Y14.5M-1994 Standard. The goals and performance objectives of each chapter are clearly described to keep you focused on the material. At the end of each chapter, you will find a number of exercises to reinforce the material once you have learned it.
The Fundamentals of GD&T textbook (ASME Y14.5M-1994) is only available to the general public. It is not sold to educational institutions. Please visit Cengage Learning to purchase the educational version of this textbook.
- About Ordering This Product
- After clicking the order button, you'll be redirected to the SAE International customer portal for final payment. New SAE customer registration is required.
- To order by telephone, contact SAE International Customer Service at 1.877.606.7323 (U.S. and Canada only) or 1.724.776.4970 (Outside U.S. and Canada).
- Effective Training Inc. (ETI) is an SAE International company.